Normally, I am a basics girl … a good dark denim jean, white tee and I’m good to go. My real splurges come with the bags and shoes (Marc Jacobs, Tano, Chie Mihara, LV, Louboutin … and I wonder why I am in debt?). So with the spring/summer season upon us, I’ve decided to flip things a bit with dresses, more specifically dresses by Duro Olowu.
The UK designer, who is of Jamaican and Nigerian descent, originally trained as a lawyer. Obviously the universe had other plans for him as he went on to receive the prestigious British Designer of the Year award only shortly after debuting his first collection. Discovered by Vogue‘s Sally Singer and Julie Gilhart of Barneys, Olowu’s signature vintage fabrics, vibrant prints and tailored silhouettes are the perfect for the girl who wants to keep it classic, yet very very funky, like me.
Duro is has a very clear view of his consumer, he says “I like to make clothes for women to feel good about themselves,” he goes on. “And that they don’t feel they’ll see everywhere … I think fashion should be joyful. It shouldn’t dictate to women but it should invite them into the fantasy of the designer who is making them.”
I’m curious to see what his next collection will reflect, now that he has just jumped-the-broom with Thelma Golden, renowned curator of the Studio Museum in Harlem and NY fashion maven. Congrats to the couple!
Now, his designs are by no means cheap, but if you are gonna splurge make it worth it!
UK Ladies, his shop opened last fall:
365 Portobello Road, London W10 5SG TEL: +44 (0) 208 960 7570
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Airbnb's New Look, The Best Time To Travel & More! - November 29th, 2016
- Travel Bites: The New Luxe AirBnb, A VAT Breakdown & More! - November 21st, 2016