I’m not experiencing a break-up, but I do enjoy a good music-related break-up movie. Why do I bring this up? Because last night I watched High Fidelity with John Cusack’s turn as the sarcastic obsessive character, Rob Gordon. Plus, a little early Jack Black never hurt anybody. The story? Boy and girl break up, girl dates new boy, old boy obsesses constantly by comparing their break-up to his top five…everything (books, heart breaks, funeral songs, dream jobs), and then…I’m not telling. ha! I fell for Cusack’s character when he said that Aretha Franklin’s “Angel” would play at his funeral. I heart that song.
Aretha’s “Angel”- perfection.
Plus I appreciated this film’s eclectic music snobbery. Fave quote, (Gordon owns a music store, Dick and Barry are his co-workers):
Customer: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we’re not.
Customer: Yeah, seriously, you’re totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit on people who know less than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
Customer: Which is everybody…
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah…
Customer: That’s a bit sad.
Ha! Classic. Here are a few more songs from the High Fidelity soundtrack.
Velvet Underground’s “OH! Sweet Nuthin'”
Stevie Wonder’s “I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)”
The Kinks’ “Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy”
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015