One of Time Mag’s 100 most influential people, Cuba-based blogger Yoani Sanchezâ€”who says “eff you” to the man and documents everyday life in communist-Cubaâ€”was snubbed by a bitter Castro, who called her latest top online journalism award from Spain, “just another prize.” This comes after the Cuban gov. denied homegirl a visa to go accept her award! [Caribbean Net News]
Funny Man George Carlin died of heart failure on Sunday at age 71. Carlin just received a Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. In his honor we leave you with a YouTube link to Carlin’s infamous “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television.” [NYTimes]
Publicists are working on keeping movie, TV & book critics out of the loop by making it harder for reviewers to see/read films, shows and literature before the public gets its first glimpse. I say, if people stopped making shitty movies, book & TV shows, they wouldn’t have to worry about bad reviews! ouch??? Anyway with the Internet, reviews are becoming a thing of the past. [Guardian]
In the Philippines the search continues for missing bodies/survivors after a typhoon wiped out a ferry carrying more than 800 people. [BBC]
In India the number of baby girls to be born and survive is decreasing with a ratio of 300-1000 girls-boys. [BBC]
â€”Bobbi is in need of some serious alignment after a weekend of shaking margarita’s and muddling mojitos.
P.S. I’m Sorry if I led anyone astray on Saturday night. Got a little excitedâ€”Cold War Kids play this Friday June 27 not Saturday June 21.
image credit: Time.com (Yoani Sanchez)
Last 5 posts by Bobbi
- Best of '09: SEX DRIVE! Sex Sells Duh!!! - December 21st, 2009
- News Bites: Khloe and Lamar on Chelsea Lately; No Power share for Honduras; Your Body has Lots of Bacteria; Gordon Brown Tells Karzai to End Corruption; Usher & Tameka are Done - November 6th, 2009
- Happy Birthday Anna Wintour; Republicans Win NJ and Virginia Gov; Bloomberg's Third Term; Karza Pledges to End Corruption; Uncertainty for Flight of the Concords - November 4th, 2009
- News Bites: Cali Talks of Legalizing It; Hugowood is flopping; LIl' Wayne's new MixTape; UN employees killed; W Mag Layoffs - October 28th, 2009
- News Bites: Gordon Voidwell; Airplane Misses it's Airport; BNP Leader: "London has been Ethnically Cleansed"; Timid Tigers are Cute; Pay Cuts for Bank Execs. - October 23rd, 2009