Just because you sacrificed space to live in The Cityâ€”New York City, San Francisco, Tokyo, London or any other tight city you can imagineâ€”doesn’t mean you have to relinquish your style. Here is how you can maximize your minimum home:
- A room divider: You can’t go wrong with a classic small apartment staple. You can separate living and sleeping areas, or living and dining areas by adding a punch of style at the same time.
- Wall-mounted shelves create space out of virtually thin air.
- Mounting a flat screen TV on the wall saves space.
- Use outdoor space as an extension of your home by arranging a lounge area. It will be like an added den.
- Nesting: Stow a small table under a large one and pull it out when you need it.
- Organization is key. Keep out of season clothes, old files and other things you don’t use everyday stowed away in numbered boxes (Ed. Note: and throw out what you don’t need. Salvation Army is ALWAYS happy to see you- Steely D). Keep a master list somewhere you can remember so you can find what you need.
- Hide extra seating-say under the coffee table, for when company comes over.
- One school of thought says that eye-popping color can overwhelm a small space. So keep a limited palette and leave some of your walls white.
- Another school of thought says that eye-popping colors can make a small space look bigger. If you feel that way, make sure your colors and patterns speak to each other, but still leave some large white space.
- Symmetry is extremely important in a limited space. Matching chairs, lamps, and side tables unify a space. If you use strip patterns, please don’t add flowered pattern pillows.
- My FAVORITE: Skip getting a sofa and arrange 4 comfortable chairs around a round coffee table and voila! Easy conversation.
If you like Zoeâ€™s tips, check out the rest of her renovation posts here.
Last 5 posts by Parlour
- The Travel Seven: Monet Hambrick - February 19th, 2017
- NYE Heartbreak: How I Reclaimed Myself In New York City - January 29th, 2017
- The Travel Seven: Nia Groce - January 16th, 2017
- The Travel Seven: Elmeka Henderson - December 6th, 2016
- The #TravelFly Solo Weekend 2017! - November 28th, 2016