You know how every country has a negative stereotype right? America = Fat & Lazy. Japan = Louis Vuitton & Labels, Jamaica = Ganja & Dreads and the UK = Drinking & Drinking. Think I’m wrong about the UK? Britons are drinking themselves so hard while on holiday in Greece and Spain that they are becoming a nuisance to the traditional vacay spots and their locals. Things have gotten so bad that Great Britain commissioned a report on it. Says the New York Times:
” A recent report published by the British Foreign Office, â€œBritish Behavior Abroad,â€ noted that in a 12-month period in 2006 and 2007, 602 Britons were hospitalized and 28 raped in Greece, and that 1,591 died in Spain and 2,032 were arrested there.”
According to an Expedia poll, Britons have been voted the ‘world’s worst tourists’. Trailing behind them are the Irish and then Indians. Who would have thought that our chutney-loving brothers and sisters suck at traveling?
Whenever I am in one of my usual vacay haunts around the globe, I can always spot a Brit. He/She is the loud one at the bar screaming/laughing loudly about some random event and wondering why no one is speaking English. After a while they become the entertainmentâ€”especially when hip-hop and dancing is involved. Keep in mind I am speaking of European Brits, now. Brown people around the world tend to be universally cool in my experience (which again- what’s up India?).
Sigh. And you thought that Cancun was bad? To get another perspective, check out my girl Miss London’s take on the great British holiday.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Airbnb's New Look, The Best Time To Travel & More! - November 29th, 2016
- Travel Bites: The New Luxe AirBnb, A VAT Breakdown & More! - November 21st, 2016