Chinese authorities have arrested and sentenced two women to one year of hard “re-education” labor after they repeatedly sought to get the permit to protest the government’s handling of their (probably Olympic related) relocation. Basically, China had them move out of their homes and they never received the compensation they were promised. By the way, the women are Wu Dianyuan, age 79, and nearly blind Wang Xiuying, age 77.
But wait! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! According the to article ” Although it is unlikely that women as old as Ms. Wu and Ms. Wang would be forced into hard labor, many of those sentenced to laojiao often toil in agricultural or factory work and are forced to confess their transgressions.” Wow.
Two Women Sentenced to â€˜Re-educationâ€™ in China [NYT]
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016