Like West Indian food? I sure do…gimme some oxtails, dumpling and salad and I am a happy gal. What I hate however, is getting the food. Here in NY, I have the privilege of living close to about four of the best spots, but about 70% of the time I have to deal with at least one of the following: 1) they don’t have what I want 2) crazy attitude 3) slow service 4) they don’t have what I want. More than likely, I also have to endure gossip, somebody getting screamed at on the phone, and a monologue about unruly pickney (children).
This clip, taken from the BBC’s late eighties comedy The Real McCoy pretty much sums it all up. Peep Robbie Gee at the end. See you on the parkway for NYC’s West Indian Day Parade this weekend!
Steely says: My fave experience? Customers are packed into this small West Indian resty in Flatbush that’s probably as big as your bathroom. No coherent line, just people waiting. One dude comes in from the back- screaming “Twoooo Pattieeeesss!!!” Meanwhile, the incoherent line ice-grills him as he gathers his patties and jets out of the exit door. So unfair.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016