We often associate rappers with bling…but how seriously do you take those ornate pieces swinging around the neck of your favorite MC. The auction house of Phillips de Pury & Company take it very seriously. So much that they are hosting “Hip Hop’s Crown Jewels,” the first ever auction of historic and unforgettable hip-hop jewelry.
My, how we have evolved from Africa medallions to Africa platinum chains and beyond…this show is the first to serve as a visual testament to the evolution of hip-hop, modern society and luxury. It’s elevating “hip-hop jewelry” to an art form to be cherished and preserved. Our girl Minya Oh aka Miss Info, who wrote Bling Bling: Hip Hop’s Crown Jewels is a chief consult on the project.
Benefiting the Rush Community Organizations, some notable pieces up for grabs include Tupac’s “M.O.B.” ring, Lil Jon’s “Crunk Ain’t Dead” pendant and B.I.G.’s Rolex. Mary J. Blige, Pharrell, Slick Rick (of course), and LL Cool J, among others, have all contributed to the lot as well.
Try not to get blinded by all of the bling in the room! DSteel and I will be imaginary bidding on Slick Rick’s eyepatch.
Preview & Auction are located at:
Phillips de Pury & Company
450 w.15th Street (Milk Bldg), NYC
Previews: September 22-30, 10am-6pm
Auction: October 1st
Phillips de Pury
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- The Ultimate Trinidad Carnival / Crop Over Packing List - December 2nd, 2018
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017