Newsie! Kwame Kilpatrick has pleaded guilty to two felonies and agreed to step-down from office this morning. Don’t get us started on why (perjury, fraud, affairs, death, etc). In addition to resigning, Kilpatrick will serve 120 days in jail, repay the city $1million and surrender his law license. Recap yourself here, here and here. Besides, any mayor caught with the above ensemble on should be in jail.
All jokes aside, this is super sad. Heralded as the “Hip-Hop Mayor”, Kilpatrick was a part of the wave of young, minoroty leadership being ushered into public office, along with Cory Booker of Newark and Adrian Fenty of Washington, DC. All three faced roadblocks during their tenure but Kwame took “hip-hop” a little too literal. With gentlemen such as Barack Obama and New York’s Kevin Powell (yes, the guy from the 1st Real World), among others poised to assume leadership this fall, one can only hope that Kilpatrick will be the classic “not to do” case that anyone is leadership can learn from.
Read the Detroit Free Press article here.
ps. I don’t want to see any “Free Kwame” t-shirts! When will we learn?
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017