Consider this get back for all of our UK ladies who had the chance to see The Harder They Come the musical. You may have Jimmy Cliff, but here in NYC we have Fela Kuti!Â Steely D and I had a chance to check out Fela!, a new musical running off-broadway recently and we both agreed that it was pretty fresh. Setup to make the viewer feel like they are in the Shrine, Kutiâ€™s legendary nightclub in Lagos, Nigeria, Fela! gives even those who have never heard of the afrobeat musician a good look into his life and his legacy. The music (featuring members of Antibalas), the dancing (choreographed by Bill T. Jones) and Sahr Ngaujahâ€™s convincing (and sometimes shirtless) portrayal of Fela, are all reasons to make your own way to the Shrineâ€¦on 37th street.
Fela is running until September 21, 2008
@ 37 Arts, 450 W. 37th Street
Photo: Richard Termine for The New York Times
Here is my fav Fela track – Zombie (forward to :29!).
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016