See, this is what happens when you have a day job- You miss stuff like this. Catching up on “Oprah” last night, I found Ted Haggard, a minister who had the meth scandal a few years ago, saying he’s trying his best to “pray away” his homosexuality.
I’m torn about this.
Firstly, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being gay. Secondly, I don’t think you can pray away your sexual tendencies. Thirdly, I grew up in a church where a gentleman did “pray away” his sexuality, but he was STILL gay. So, albeit this is one case, I’d have to say that if society was primarily homosexual and, with me being a heterosexual, I don’t think I could pray away my own sexual tendencies. My belief, of course, aligns with the belief that most gay people are born homosexual rather than adopt the practice through socialization. This is all just my opinion- but it’s an interesting thing, this “praying away” things…In addition, I must say that I believe in the power of prayer as well. But to me, “praying away” homosexuality is like “praying away” brown eyes and then we’re crossing over in Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye” territory and everything really gets weird.
What do you think?
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015
- Your Weekend Getaway in...Houston! - April 30th, 2015
- Listen to DJ Kwest_on's Romantic Grooves and Survive Wedding Season - April 14th, 2015
- Couple Tripping: Where to Turn Down Together, for Your Sanity - March 26th, 2015