I’m pretty sure that I’ve been forthcoming about my undying love for Food Network cookÂ and personality, Paula Deen. She entertaining and loves butter – what’s not to like? Watching her show over the weekend, she made a grapefruit cake that reminded her of her grandmother and the grapefruit juice that she’d fresh squeeze for Paula every morning. Made me think two things: that cake souns delicious and I think I miss my granny’s spaghetti the most when I’m not in LA visiting with her.
What dishes do you miss when you’re not hanging out with your grandparents or parents?
Grapefruit cake recipe after the jump. =0)
* 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit zest
* 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
* 3 egg yolks
* 3 eggs whites
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Line cake pan with waxed paper and spray with nonstick oil.
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center for dry ingredients. Add water, oil, zest, grapefruit juice and egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar separately until whites are stiff but not dry. Gradually fold egg whites into flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just blended. Do not stir the mixture.
Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
Bake for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when gently touched with a finger. Invert pan on cake rack to cool. Run spatula around edge of cake. Carefully remove from pan. With a serrated knife, gently cut layer in half.
Grapefruit Cream Cheese Frosting:
* 2 (6-ounce) packages cream cheese
* 2 teaspoons grapefruit juice
* 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
* 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
* 6 to 8 drops yellow food coloring
* 1 (1-pound) can grapefruit sections, well drained
Let cream cheese soften to room temperature. Beat cheese until fluffy. Add grapefruit juice and zest. Gradually blend in sugar. Mix until well blended. Add food coloring. Crush several grapefruit sections to measure 2 teaspoons.
Blend into frosting. Spread frosting on bottom half of cake. Top with several grapefruit sections. Cover with second layer of cake. Frost top and sides. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.
source and Image via the Salty Cod
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015