Aside from those awesome Trojan ads, my favorite new spots hands-down have to be for Vitamin Water and their new product Vitamin Water 10. I still don’t drink the stuff (because I take vitamins and drink….water), but aside from the talking animals (total win) I get a kick out of the fact that the CEO of Water Incorporated is Mother Nature – who’s in the spot and worried about Vitamin Water taking their shine – and she’s a black woman. As a fellow black girl that rocks, I take no ownership over nature when seeing the spots run, but it does make me think about how far the portrayals of minority women have come in advertisingâ€”anything is better than her being the ‘magical negro‘.
It almost reminds me of how I used to shut my schoolmates down when I pulled out a map and told them that due to geography, Jesus was probably not white…now my nieces can say: “Mother Nature is black”, lol!
Peep the ad after the break
Shout to Chloe, whose Twitter a few weeks ago reminded me of this!
AdAttack! is the random musings of J.Baker, who has a sordid love affair with all things advertising, culture and marketing. After working n the biz for this long, itâ€™s a love/hate relationship taken to an entirely new level.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016