In the UK, the record of rape convictions is low…a little too low for the government’s taste. It seems that the commn stereotypes and misconceptions ( “she asked for it” styles of dress, flirty behavior, lifestyle choices) that surround rape victims are resonating with juries around the country, resulting in more suspected rapists in the streets and a less rape victims willing to come forth. So who is to the rescue? The judges!
Judges are now expected to directed jurors to ignore common myths surrounding rape and focus on the law and facts. This all sounds great, just really 1989 to me. Do we need to start After-School Specials across the pond again?
Beware Rape Myths, Judges to Tell Jurors
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Airbnb's New Look, The Best Time To Travel & More! - November 29th, 2016