In the UK, the record of rape convictions is low…a little too low for the government’s taste. It seems that the commn stereotypes and misconceptions ( “she asked for it” styles of dress, flirty behavior, lifestyle choices) that surround rape victims are resonating with juries around the country, resulting in more suspected rapists in the streets and a less rape victims willing to come forth. So who is to the rescue? The judges!
Judges are now expected to directed jurors to ignore common myths surrounding rape and focus on the law and facts. This all sounds great, just really 1989 to me. Do we need to start After-School Specials across the pond again?
Beware Rape Myths, Judges to Tell Jurors
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016