I was perusing Facebook and my bestie Alvin posted a story on US Black women adopting domestically. Now, I’m glad that African-American women are adopting children because, as the child of a social worker, I know there are plenty that need good homes. However, the reasons some of the interviewees gave sound more like they’re using the children to absorb affection they’d rather lavish on a man…if one was around. Example:
“Duren says she still wants to be married. But in the meantime, she can barely wait to get home to see Madison.
Her life is now shaped by purpose, not regret.
“I have someone to hang out with. I can never say I’m lonely,” Duren says. “She lies across my stomach every night, and I just stare at her.”
Not to mention, it seems that a good chunk of women adopting refused to take in darker skin children, saying:
“I had a family who turned a baby down because it was too dark,” she says. “They said the baby wouldn’t look good in family photographs.”
Really? Though America is enjoying their first beautiful brown First Lady in Michelle Obama, we’re still struggling with a color complex? Ladies, please love yourself and the children we create.
Then there were the scary statistics of how many black women had never been married (45%) as compared to white women (23%)…but that’s a conversation for another day.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015