Naomi Sims, arguably the world’s first Black supermodel has been confirmed as to have died this past Saturday, after enduring a battle with cancer. She was 61.
Dark, tall, statuesque and deterimined, Naomi had a short, yet successful career and then flipped her focus into a multimillion dollar wig (my mom had one!!!) and beauty business .
For all you Parlouristas who work in beauty, fashion, publishing, etcâ€”take a second to pay your respects to Naomi today, most of us probably wouldn’t be who we are if it wasn’t for the work that Sims, Beverly Johnson, Pat Clevelend and others did in convincing the world that Black is truly beautiful.
ps. thank Kenrya for the late night IM!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016