Naomi Sims, arguably the world’s first Black supermodel has been confirmed as to have died this past Saturday, after enduring a battle with cancer. She was 61.
Dark, tall, statuesque and deterimined, Naomi had a short, yet successful career and then flipped her focus into a multimillion dollar wig (my mom had one!!!) and beauty business .
For all you Parlouristas who work in beauty, fashion, publishing, etcâ€”take a second to pay your respects to Naomi today, most of us probably wouldn’t be who we are if it wasn’t for the work that Sims, Beverly Johnson, Pat Clevelend and others did in convincing the world that Black is truly beautiful.
ps. thank Kenrya for the late night IM!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016