All of my friends and dear readers know that I’m sharply sarcastic, but author Barbara Ehrenreich takes the cake. With titles like “This Land is Their Land: Reports from a Divided Nation” and “Nickel and Dimed: on (not) Getting By in America” under her belt, it seems this small white woman from Butte, Montana is the grinch who’s trying to steal America’s glee by debunking it with pragmatic theories. For example, in an interview with Jon Stewart of “The Daily Show,” Babs said that she’d suffered breast cancer and got tired of people telling her that if she thought happy things, she’d “boost her immune system” and her tumors would disappear. Then she backed up her frustration by mentioning that new research shows that doctors and nurses also don’t think continuously encouraging happiness is the way to go either.
Check her video clip around 14: 32 after the jump:
Babs’ latest book is “Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America” debuted this month and I’m tempted to read it, but, with the rain and the cold weather, I don’t know if I’m ready for her version of leveling with me about the economy and jobs, etc. However, I might pick up “Dancing in the Streets: A History of Collective Joy” at the Brooklyn Public Library, it’s about the culture of happiness from ancient times to the present.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015
- Your Weekend Getaway in...Houston! - April 30th, 2015
- Listen to DJ Kwest_on's Romantic Grooves and Survive Wedding Season - April 14th, 2015
- Couple Tripping: Where to Turn Down Together, for Your Sanity - March 26th, 2015