According to Variety, Oscar and Grammy-winning star Jennifer Hudson has signed on to play the complex South African political figure Winnie Mandela.
Winnie, which starts filming in South African in May 2010 will be directed by Darrell J. Roodt who hasÂ directed South African films like Yesterday, Cry The Beloved Country and Sarafina!
Winnie Mandela is a polarizing figure known for her strong support for then-jailed husband Nelson Mandela and the struggle against apartheid. However she has been implicated in the death of a 14-year-old informant and was convicted of fraud in 2003.
Peep the rest at AfriPop!
Last 5 posts by Parlour
- The Travel Seven: Elisia Brown - July 18th, 2017
- The Travel Seven: Ianthia Smith - May 6th, 2017
- The Travel Seven: Monet Hambrick - February 19th, 2017
- NYE Heartbreak: How I Reclaimed Myself In New York City - January 29th, 2017
- The Travel Seven: Nia Groce - January 16th, 2017