According to Variety, Oscar and Grammy-winning star Jennifer Hudson has signed on to play the complex South African political figure Winnie Mandela.
Winnie, which starts filming in South African in May 2010 will be directed by Darrell J. Roodt who hasÂ directed South African films like Yesterday, Cry The Beloved Country and Sarafina!
Winnie Mandela is a polarizing figure known for her strong support for then-jailed husband Nelson Mandela and the struggle against apartheid. However she has been implicated in the death of a 14-year-old informant and was convicted of fraud in 2003.
Peep the rest at AfriPop!
Last 5 posts by Parlour
- Travel Bites: LGBT Loving Locales, Embracing Strangers & More! - September 17th, 2016
- The Travel Seven: Bianca Malata - September 17th, 2016
- A Tour of Morocco's Magic - September 6th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Silk Road Eats, Vacation Home Tips & more! - September 6th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Ecuador Needs The Love, Avoiding Vacay Gains & More! - August 7th, 2016