In honor of the Dr. Dre “Detox” fever that’s spread since the super-producer announced his collaboration with Jay-Z, I decided to compile a throwback list. I mean, it’s been over 10 years since “2001” dropped so we’ve got plenty of time until the tooth fairy, I mean, “Detox” proves it’s really real anyway right? In kind, and after two good hours of “XXplosive,” I’ve compiled a list that’ll tickle your funny bone if you were in college when Dre’s last album hit shelves.
You Know You Were in College When “2001” Dropped When:
1. You took c-walk lessons from your L.A. classmates, practiced in the dorms and this prepared you for the inevitable crip walk battle at the next frat party.
2. You know at least one person that will always be remembered for singing the lyrics to “Let’s Get High” while they were drunk and…high. This most likely this occurred while said person was nearly unconscious, possibly on the floor and probably barefoot.
4. You loved anything and everything by Kurupt because he’d just broken his engagement to Foxy Brown, hated DMX and was in his “angry phase” when he makes the best music. (c) “Callin’ Out Names”
5. Whenever you wanted to appear hard during a party let-out, “Some L.A. Niggaz” was your soundtrack. Ain’t nothing like some angry black men boasting over a hard boom-bap beat. Plus an MC Ren verse? GTFOH.
6. Eminem was cool, but he was really just the guy on the “Forget About Dre” hook.
7. You forgave Dre for that random “Pause 4 Porno” skit…but thinking back, you never really understood why it was included. Besides, it was kinda awkward to hear in a car full of people…yikes!
8. While “Let’s Get High” was a hit at the black parties, the white frat parties couldn’t get enough of painful, beer-induced Snoop and Dr. Dre sing-a-longs “Tha Next Episode.”
9. Suge Knight’s attempt to confuse consumers by releasing his own “Chronic 2000: Still Smokin’” album via Death Row Records just made you shake your head. This of course is why Dre titled his LP, “2001.”
10. Relating to more than one or two items on this list makes you feel OLD.
Any joints I missed? Leave ’em in the comments!
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011