If you pay attention to things like the U.K. appointing a new Prime Minister in David Cameron or the Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar’adua recently being found dead, then you probably didn’t realize that rap’s Southern star Gucci Mane was released from jail this morning. I’m not going to poo on his release — who ever wants to go to jail? — but I am going to giggle publicly.
Following his release, Gucci read a statement to news media clustered outside of the Fulton County Jail where the rapper’s been incarcerated for the last six months. Among other business, like all but confirming that he’d fired his seemingly unscrupulous manager Deb Antney, mother to “Ohletsdoit” MC Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci hit this snag:
“The rap game is in need of substance right now and I’m here for the streets right on time.”
I like Gucci, he’s entertaining as hell, from “Freaky Gurl” to “So Icey” and of course “Wasted,” he’s great to have in your iPod or club rotation while you’re drunk and wildin’ but substance? Just because Nas is fighting with Kelis and Andre 3000 is busy designing oxfords and cartoons, doesn’t mean we need you, Radric Davis, to fill the void.
I look forward to your new mixtape with DJ Holiday and the club hits from your new LP, “The Appeal,” but no false advertisement please. Next thing you know, you’ll be taking a mixtape cover referencing Malcom X or something.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011