Love love love this short documentary! Props to my office-wife for hooking me up and our newest Parlourista, Maya, for mentioning this yesterday! The Colour of Beauty is a short and sweet mini directed by Elizabeth St. Phillip that introduces brown beauty Renee Thompson as she takes us with her on her castings, agency visits, etc. It also features Jeanne Becker from Fashion TV, who I.LOVE.FOREVER! Says Work For All:
“This film asks: Why isnâ€™t the multi-cultural society that we live in reflected in our magazines, on billboards and on the runways of fashion shows?Â And who are the parties involved in this industryâ€™s lack of diversity?Â Does the answer lie somewhere in the back rooms of fashion magazines or in the offices of casting directors of fashion shows? Is it something that is discussed at advertising agencies, or between designers and modeling agencies?Â Whatever the answer, the fact is that models of color work less, and their chances of success are very low.”
Watch it after the jump!
Also, check out Renee’s blog and keep up with her—->HERE
PS. Big shout to Butch! I see you!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016