Love love love this short documentary! Props to my office-wife for hooking me up and our newest Parlourista, Maya, for mentioning this yesterday! The Colour of Beauty is a short and sweet mini directed by Elizabeth St. Phillip that introduces brown beauty Renee Thompson as she takes us with her on her castings, agency visits, etc. It also features Jeanne Becker from Fashion TV, who I.LOVE.FOREVER! Says Work For All:
“This film asks: Why isnâ€™t the multi-cultural society that we live in reflected in our magazines, on billboards and on the runways of fashion shows?Â And who are the parties involved in this industryâ€™s lack of diversity?Â Does the answer lie somewhere in the back rooms of fashion magazines or in the offices of casting directors of fashion shows? Is it something that is discussed at advertising agencies, or between designers and modeling agencies?Â Whatever the answer, the fact is that models of color work less, and their chances of success are very low.”
Watch it after the jump!
Also, check out Renee’s blog and keep up with her—->HERE
PS. Big shout to Butch! I see you!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017