We love cars, well Shannon and Sherry love theirs and I enjoy a good Zipcar once in awhile, but China is taking their affection to new heights.
“A 62-mile traffic jam near the Chinese capital that officials say could last until mid-September has become a symbol of the dark side of China’s love affair with the automobile.
Officials say traffic has been snarled along the outskirts of Beijing and is stretching toward the border of Inner Mongolia ever since roadwork on the Beijing-Tibet Highway started Aug. 13. The following week, parts of a major road circling Beijing were closed, further tightening overburdened roadways.
As the jam on the highway, also known as National Highway 110, passed the ten-day mark Tuesday, local authorities dispatched hundreds of police to keep order and to reroute cars and trucks carrying essential supplies, such as food or flammables, around the main bottleneck.”
We knew Los Angeles’ 405 and 101 freeways were bad and driving in NYC just sucks in general but one driver said his usual three day driving job is amounting to one week or more? Get out of here! On a positive note, this pile up hatches a new market for local villagers to sell to-go food on the highway. Can’t knock the hustle.
source and image via Getty
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015
- Your Weekend Getaway in...Houston! - April 30th, 2015
- Listen to DJ Kwest_on's Romantic Grooves and Survive Wedding Season - April 14th, 2015
- Couple Tripping: Where to Turn Down Together, for Your Sanity - March 26th, 2015