Fellas, we love you. Have we told you recently? We love you in your AF1’s and sweats, designer jeans and tees…but when you bring it up a notch to the shirt & tie level, we all secretly swoon. The gentlemen on style site, Street Etiquette know exactly what I mean. A sartorial look at Black male style rooted in classic/vintage motifs, Joshua and Travis’ blog is a great escape and style resource, functioning basically their personal look-bookâ€”but i’m not mad. Check out their latest photo & video project, The Black Ivy:
The Black Ivy serves as a tribute to the first black colleges that paved the way for our generation and created a common ground for hardworking, likeminded individuals. What theÂ originalÂ Black Ivy league did for folks many years ago is what we strive to do today with individuals that inspire, motivate and spark the creativity of Â beings around them.
Black style has been intertwined with “prep” or “Americana” since the dawn of street/urban fashion, notably with Ralph Lauren, Nautica & Tommy Hillfiger. But while the labels have been (over) consumed, the lifestyle behind it has yet to be fully associated with Black culture since it is perceived to be rooted in class. What makes The Black Ivy so interesting is it’s focus on the natural connection of the two through education, notably in what’s commonly referred as the “Black Ivy League,” schools such as Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, FAMU and Hampton. Check the video below, and read/see more about the project here. Good work fellas!
ps. Howard University is the only school that matters, btw.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Airbnb's New Look, The Best Time To Travel & More! - November 29th, 2016
- Travel Bites: The New Luxe AirBnb, A VAT Breakdown & More! - November 21st, 2016