This image above was supposed to be Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy LP cover, but apparently big “family” retailers like Wal-Mart didn’t want to sell it. Go figure.
I mean, I understand the image. In keeping with his album’s title, the LP cover is abstract and full of debauchery, from the bottle to the exposed nipple. The pair are presumably mid-coitus and maybe on some Hunter S. Thompson (alligators anyone?) drugs that’ll inspire those types of, or that many for that matter, teeth. I’m not quite sure why the “phoenix,” as Kanye refers to in his tweets below, has a polka dot feather (or silk scarf?) as a tail, but it’s definitely twisted and all those teeth, again, make me nervous.
Here’s Kanye’s Twitter timeline for explantion of the cover and all things banned in the USA. #no2livecrew:
Yoooo they banned my album cover!!!!! Ima tweet it in a few…
I know that cover just blew yall minds … I wish yall could see how hard I’m smiling right now!!! source
In all honesty … I really don’t be thinking about Wal-Mart when I make my music or album covers #Kanyeshrug!
I wanna sell albums but not at the expense of my true creativity.
Kanye mentions nudity in 70s album covers, which we appreciate around here. But a nipple with honey on it, like the Ohio Players for instance, is quite different I guess from an armless “phoenix” with shark teeth and terrifying love of dots.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011