After much anticipation, Rita Indiana has finally dropped her debut album with her band, Los Misterios, El Juidero, to the joy of cool kids in her native Dominican Republic and Puerto Rican home-base and abroad. I haven’t listened yet, but have been a fan after seeing her video for “La Hora de Volver” earlier this year. Blending pop, merengue, reggae, hip-hop with an electro edge, Rita is a former model who still moonlights as a screenwriter and novelist while commanding her 5-piece band complete with awesomely memorable back-up dancers and a sultry alto. Like her New York City sistren Maluca, Rita represents a new direction of fresh Latin music that is innovative, accessible and fronted by strong, modern women. Even if Spanish isn’t your first language, I dare you to stand still once she comes on.
Peep the Pulp Fiction tinged first video from her new album and more from Rita below.
El Judiero, directed by Noelia Quintero Herencia
La Hora de Volver
El Blu del Ping Pong, live
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016