After much anticipation, Rita Indiana has finally dropped her debut album with her band, Los Misterios, El Juidero, to the joy of cool kids in her native Dominican Republic and Puerto Rican home-base and abroad. I haven’t listened yet, but have been a fan after seeing her video for “La Hora de Volver” earlier this year. Blending pop, merengue, reggae, hip-hop with an electro edge, Rita is a former model who still moonlights as a screenwriter and novelist while commanding her 5-piece band complete with awesomely memorable back-up dancers and a sultry alto. Like her New York City sistren Maluca, Rita represents a new direction of fresh Latin music that is innovative, accessible and fronted by strong, modern women. Even if Spanish isn’t your first language, I dare you to stand still once she comes on.
Peep the Pulp Fiction tinged first video from her new album and more from Rita below.
El Judiero, directed by Noelia Quintero Herencia
La Hora de Volver
El Blu del Ping Pong, live
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016