This morning, I’m still feeling my growing pains, so this selector needs a bit of Erykah Badu’s ‘Didn’t Cha Know.’ Shout to J.Cole.
This Texas girl, crazy as she may seem, is my favorite of the (neo?) soul sisters. And while, Sherry will no doubt pick Jill Scott and Shannon would probably go vintage with Nina Simone or her undying love for Sia, Erykah’s weirdness suits me just fine. This song specifically takes me back to Granada, Spain. I spent Christmas there some years ago, mistakenly thinking that it would be so much warmer than England. It wasn’t, but the town located in the south of Spain was at least sunnier. Either way, between stores like Mango, Women’s Secret (akin to Victoria’s Secret), insane amounts of paella and everyone thinking I was Moroccan, “Didn’t Cha Know” will always remind me of finding my path in life. Realizing that humanity existed outside of California, my home state, and even the country of my birth, England. If one’s brave enough to leave the comfort of home, such amazing things can happen, you just have to have open to whatever may come.
And here’s one of my favorite quotes from Badu, when I interviewed her a few years ago about her magic with men, but really just people.
â€œI learned just as much from them as they learned from me. Iâ€™m a cold muâ€™fucka though. But the people Iâ€™m with are cold too, theyâ€™re a reflection of that. Become a cold mâ€™fucka and the muâ€™fuckas will just come like magnets.â€
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011