â€œAs soon as you put five girls together as a groupâ€”African-American or Asianâ€”it does make a statement: a political statement,â€ says AndrÃ© Leon Talley, contributing editor at Vogue and a judge on Americaâ€™s Next Top Model. â€œWeâ€™re supposed to be living in a postracial, nonracial world. Weâ€™re just not there.â€
Just in time for New York Fashion Week, noted fashion and culture critic Robin Givhan has much to say about Alber Elbaz’s showstopping finale for his Lanvin S/S 2011 show in Paris back in October, which featured five fierce black models. Elbaz maintains that his decision was purely based in aesthetic, but judging from the crowd’s reaction, it was much more. See how Robin breaks it down over at New York Magazine.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- 3 Luxe for Less Caribbean Getaways for Fall! - August 29th, 2016
- Carnival Virgin? What To Know Before You Go! - August 14th, 2016
- Get On Your Game At Club Med Sandpiper Bay - May 29th, 2016
- Three Spring Hotel Deals To Book Now! - April 1st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Luxe for Less Hotels, TSA Steps Up & More! - March 13th, 2016