â€œAs soon as you put five girls together as a groupâ€”African-American or Asianâ€”it does make a statement: a political statement,â€ says AndrÃ© Leon Talley, contributing editor at Vogue and a judge on Americaâ€™s Next Top Model. â€œWeâ€™re supposed to be living in a postracial, nonracial world. Weâ€™re just not there.â€
Just in time for New York Fashion Week, noted fashion and culture critic Robin Givhan has much to say about Alber Elbaz’s showstopping finale for his Lanvin S/S 2011 show in Paris back in October, which featured five fierce black models. Elbaz maintains that his decision was purely based in aesthetic, but judging from the crowd’s reaction, it was much more. See how Robin breaks it down over at New York Magazine.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Airbnb's New Look, The Best Time To Travel & More! - November 29th, 2016
- Travel Bites: The New Luxe AirBnb, A VAT Breakdown & More! - November 21st, 2016