On a cold night, I accompanied Shannon to an art show in Bed-Stuy with an … interesting name: “Sex Crimes Against Black Girls.”
Shannon: “Sex Crimes Against Black Girls,” girl, just come.
Me: Alright, but only because it’s Shantrelle’s show, man.
Ultimately, the exhibition was great because the artists, which ranged from photographers to painters, took their painful experiences and turned them into something creative and freeing.Â A few weeks later, I filmed my conversation with the Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Skylight Gallery curator Shantrelle P. Lewis about some of the pieces and why she chose such a hardcore title.Watch below!
The collection chronicles the obvious but in an abstract way from which we can all learn. If you’re in town, check out the show and tonight, March 29, Ms. Lewis is hosting a discussion, following a screening of NO! The Rape Documentary at the gallery.
BRSC’s Skylight Gallery
1368 Fulton Street
BROOKLYN, New York
Closes April 2, 2011
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011