So it goes like this.
Three girls release an EP featuring three songs. Within several months, they attract Twitter love from Questlove, Foreign Exchange and Erykah Badu, plus meet with Prince after his show in North Carolina, where his purple majesty schools them on life as a musician. Eventually, he invites the trio to open for him at the Los Angeles venue, The Forum.
Three girls. Three songs. One hell of a story.
Anita Bias and twin sisters Amber and Paris Strother comprise the Los Angeles-based trio KING. Shortly after releasing their EP The Story, the girls began a journey that they themselves still can’t believe. Here at Parlour, after sitting on the EP for a few days (we’re some selfish girls, we know), we found ourselves grooving to their signature harmonies and Paris’ futuresoul production so we shared ‘The Story,’ ‘Supernatural’ and ‘Hey’ with you ladies. Recently, we caught up with the girls at Central Park’s SummerStage where we talked Prince: “He was more than anything you would imagine … definitely awed by his presence …” and Badu: “She’s amazing and beautiful … she just has this light. To see that in real life is so inspiring … ” But of course, we needed more. So on a sunny California day, KING sat down for an exclusive video chat with our Hollywood homegirls, Asha and Dana from Milk & Honey in the vintage parlour-themed Beauty Bar to share their story. Enjoy!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016