At the recent taping of the Black Girls Rock Awards here in New York my girls and I were pretty much ready to duck out to beat the post-show traffic but pretty much scrapped the idea when we realized that Mary J. Blige was closing the show. You see being urban brown girls born between 1978 and 1981, there is something in us that clicks on “auto yes please” whenever you say the name Mary.
We grew up with Mary, from ponytails-in-baseball-caps and the first relationship we “thought” was real to an appreciation for fine fabrics, dining, travel and finally being a “grown ass woman.” For us, each one of Mary’s albums represents a time in our lives and remain an integral part of any girl’s night playlist – so the video for her new single “25/8” from her forthcoming album My Life II…The Journey Continues should be no different right? Ehn…I dunno. None of the singles have been the bangers we expect from Mary, (and I actually support her not singing songs of love + loss constantly) but there just seems to be something missing. Could it be that she’s just getting older and we are still holding on to our Beyonce/Party antics? Or maybe it’s because all of these beautiful shots of her in the clip are being assaulted by her “round the way girl” snakeskin jacket ensemble and it’s just throwing me off?
Le sigh – thoughts ladies? Watch below:
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- Giving Back and Getting More in Batey Guajabo - February 7th, 2017
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Grenada! - January 22nd, 2017
- Travel Bites: The New JFK, 2017 Travel Predictions & More! - January 9th, 2017
- Why Be Basic? 6 Ways To Be A Better Traveler - December 19th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Brazil's Hidden Beauty, Our National Parks' Lessons & more! - December 5th, 2016