Etta James, soul singer behind “At Last,” has died, she was 73 years old.
After fighting Lukemia, dementia and Hepatitis C, James passed away in a hospital in Riverside, California surrounded by her husband and sons, according to CNN.
“This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world,” De Leon said. “She was a true original who could sing it all — her music defied category,” said her longtime manager Lupe De Leon”I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always.”
In recent years, Beyoncé played James in Cadillac Records, a film drawn on the artists and business of Chess Records. I was lucky enough to check Bey out while she was practicing to play the fiery lady also known as Miss Peaches. As she sang “I’d Rather Go Blind” I thought about how “At Last” was my Granny’s jam and music really does stand the test of time. Amazing that I was familiar with a song that debuted during my grandmother’s hey day and I liked the song too. That’s the power of Ms. James.
She would’ve turned 74 on Wednesday, January 25. Rest in peace.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Hotel Love: The Old Rhinebeck Inn - May 13th, 2018
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015