Etta James, soul singer behind “At Last,” has died, she was 73 years old.
After fighting Lukemia, dementia and Hepatitis C, James passed away in a hospital in Riverside, California surrounded by her husband and sons, according to CNN.
“This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world,” De Leon said. “She was a true original who could sing it all — her music defied category,” said her longtime manager Lupe De Leon”I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always.”
In recent years, Beyoncé played James in Cadillac Records, a film drawn on the artists and business of Chess Records. I was lucky enough to check Bey out while she was practicing to play the fiery lady also known as Miss Peaches. As she sang “I’d Rather Go Blind” I thought about how “At Last” was my Granny’s jam and music really does stand the test of time. Amazing that I was familiar with a song that debuted during my grandmother’s hey day and I liked the song too. That’s the power of Ms. James.
She would’ve turned 74 on Wednesday, January 25. Rest in peace.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015
- Your Weekend Getaway in...Houston! - April 30th, 2015
- Listen to DJ Kwest_on's Romantic Grooves and Survive Wedding Season - April 14th, 2015
- Couple Tripping: Where to Turn Down Together, for Your Sanity - March 26th, 2015