Hip-Hop isn’t always the most open place for self-discovery. Thanks to the bravado most fans enjoy, you know that swagger you channel while re-rhyming lyrics in your bathroom mirror, it’s also tough for some MC’s to reveal their darkest secrets. But newcomer Angel Haze has done just that over Eminem‘s “Cleaning Out My Closet” track, using the beat to talk about her repeated sexual abuse as a child into her teen years and how it changed her self-image when she turned inward as a result of the trauma. I’ve been watching Angel’s work from a distance but I’ll admit this track made me pay attention. It’s vivid and she really lays bare her experience including her sexuality, saying she began liking girls because men terrified her, and I can only applaud her openness to share this much of herself with fans and on-lookers alike.
Check out Angel Haze’s latest clip, “Werkin Girls”:
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Hotel Love: The Old Rhinebeck Inn - May 13th, 2018
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015