Since we’re on a mental and physical vacation until January 7 — I’m in California, Shannon’s in Washington, D.C., then New Orleans, and Sherry’s North Carolina — we’re serving up Parlour’s Best of 2012! Each day this week, you’ll get a chance to reminisce on what made us all laugh, cry and suck our teeth during the last 12 months. I dug up a few of our faves … and I’m sweating, WOO!
White and non-white relationships in Germany and the rest of Europe aren’t as good as locals want you to think. The progressiveness Europe clings to when comparing itself to the United States bares some inconsistencies though some countries in the EU have universal health care, a death penalty ban and recognize same sex marriages. All these things are great but when it comes to acknowledging racism and its impact on the growing multi-cultural population of Europe, I would have to give them a collective D-.
A few examples (click the links, they’ll help)
- In Finland a chocolate covered marshmallow treat went by the name “negerkyss” (negro kiss) up until 2001. Although the name changed to “Brunberg Kisses” the chocolate company still uses the offensive logo of two stereotypical African cartoon characters barely clothed with bright red lips.
- In modern day Netherlands on December 5th, Sinterklaas (Santa) is accompanied by his servants Zwarte Piet or Black Pete. Black Petes are commonly portrayed by white Dutch adults who wear black face paint, bright red lips and afro wigs. If the imagery isn’t offensive enough, to add insult to injury the Black Pete’s typically speak pigeon Dutch in a Surinamese accent, jumping around like utter baffoons. Santa is, of course, always white and in a position of authority.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016
- Parlour Jams!: Hawaii's Golden Sunsets With DJ Darling Chuck - July 23rd, 2015
- Parlour Jams!: Morning Moves With DJ Heat - June 23rd, 2015