Name: Danielle Pointdujour
City/Country: Born & raised in the People’s Republic of Brooklyn, but Guyana and Haiti run through my veins.
Occupation: HR Professional by day, freelance writer and Seinfeld addict 24/7
Website/Links: Danielle Pointdujour
Passport Stamps: UK, France, Japan, Egypt, Portugal, Greece, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Australia, Belize, Panama, Guyana, Trinidad, Jamaica, pretty much every Caribbean island….
1. My Best Travel Memory So Far: The year I turned thirty, I went on my own mini Eat Pray Love journey and traveled to a different city/country every month for the entire year, mostly alone. It was an amazing journey filled with new experiences and friends, laughs and tears, romances and heartbreak. I danced naked in the ocean, jumped off of cliffs, skydived, ate strange food, danced until my feet literally bled, opened my heart to strangers and found myself. Best. Vacation. Ever!
2. Favorite Hotel & Why: I usually prefer to rent an apartment when I travel because it makes the experience more authentic for me, but a few years ago when I visited Tanzania I stayed at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and to say it was a breathtaking experience would be an understatement. I felt like I was sitting in the middle of a scene straight out of The Lion King.
3. My Must-haves On Any Flight Are: 1. My iPod, if I don’t have music I lose it, especially on long haul flights. 2. Drinks and Drinks and Drinks! As much as I travel I still get a bit nervous on flights—free alcohol soothes a jittery Dani. 3. My rosary. I bought a rosary at the Vatican that my grandmother had blessed for me, I never travel without it. 4. The Wire episodes. The Wire is a guide to life. 5. A free upgrade. I don’t have first class flight funds, but I do have platinum status on Delta which increases my chances of getting upgraded for free. 6. An empty bladder. I have a phobia of public restrooms and try to avoid them at all costs. I sprayed Evian facial spray in my mouth once to stay hydrated on a 14 hour flight instead of drinking water and having to use that tiny, nasty bathroom. I’m not about that life.
4. When I’m On The Road, I Absolutely Hate: Getting stopped by TSA because I have goodies in my luggage. Just because a girl has a few vibrators, ball gags and whips in her bag and is going to a country where adult stores are illegal doesn’t mean she’s trafficking goods. Geez!
5. My Dream Destination or Vacation: Last year I visited the country that has been on my list since at least junior high, Thailand. It has always been my dream to ride an elephant through the jungles of Thailand and on that trip I got to do it twice!
6. The Three Things I Can’t Travel Without: 1. My iPhone and or iPad. I’m my father’s only child, if I don’t keep in contact with him he will go bath salt crazy. 2. Hershey Nuggets w/Toffee and Almonds. I like snacks. 3. My camera. I don’t come from the richest family and so many have sacrificed so that I can live this life. My being able to travel is such a blessing that I want to capture every moment of it so that when I get home my family can see the world too.
7. Top Lesson Learned While Traveling: To let go of plans, fears and insecurities and simply live in the moment.
Already on your second or third passport? Join the Travel Seven and submit your answers today to firstname.lastname@example.org—if we like them we will post on here on Parlour!
Last 5 posts by Parlour
- The #TravelFly Solo Weekend 2017! - November 28th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Delta Tracks Your Luggage and Uber Will Help You Vote - November 7th, 2016
- Travel Bites: Trump Hotel D.C. Opens Like You'll Really Stay There, LOL & More! - October 31st, 2016
- Travel Bites: Kanye Can't Save Chicago and How to Cuddle Abroad - October 24th, 2016
- Travel Seven: Tenicka Boyd - October 12th, 2016