This week in Parlouroids … In New York at the annual Met Gala, celebrities like Kim K, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Beyoncé were fashioned-out in concert with the theme of “Punk: From Chaos to Couture.” Speaking of Beyoncé, her husband Jay-Z made an appearance at movie premiere for The Great Gatsby — he produced the soundtrack — alongside stars Leonardo Dicaprio and Tobey Maguire. Rihanna released a new red lipstick with Mac Cosmetics and celebrated her success with a lip-stick shaped cake.
Over in New Jersey, Lauryn Hill was sentenced to three months in prison for tax evasion, right after she was required by Sony Entertainment to release the song “Neurotic Society”, which we still have mixed feelings about.
In Cleveland, Ohio, local man Charles Ramsey became a hero after rescuing Amanda Berry, a woman who was kidnapped ten years ago, from his neighbor Ariel Castro’s basement. Berry was taken along with two other women, and during her captivity Berry gave birth to Castro’s daughter, according to new reports. Oh, and Ramsey is a reformed woman beater … but is his Internet fame troubling?
The National Rifle Association (NRA) released an article in their youth magazine, InSights, featuring a young-looking boy holding a BB gun next to a fireplace and recommending that children build a home BB gun range. Can the NRA do anything right?
In humanitarian news, The Save the Children Fund and pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline have joined forces to work on a project to tackle some of the leading causes of childhood deaths. They are starting in some of the poorest parts of Africa, including Wajir in northern Kenya.
Last 5 posts by Victoria Johnson
- Your Weekend Getaway in … Chicago! - May 8th, 2013
- Kriss Kross' Chris Kelly Dies, Lil Wayne's Failed Emmett Till Apology + J.Cole's Twin Fetish?: Parlouroids - May 3rd, 2013
- Lauryn Hill's Return, Beyonce and Blue Ivy's Cuteness and Remembering Stephen Lawrence: Parlouroids! - April 26th, 2013
- Karen O at Coachella, Kevin Hart Tweets Drunken Arrest and Beyonce's Nipples: Parlouroids! - April 19th, 2013
- Your Weekend Getaway in ... London! - April 19th, 2013