1. My best travel memory so far is… Traveling from Johannesburg to Durban. I was so excited when I had the chance to study abroad in South Africa, but I truly did not know what to expect. As soon as I stepped off the plane and made my way to the van for transportation, I asked myself was I in an African country or the Bahamas?!?! In that moment, I was forced to confront every idea I had about the country of South Africa. While there is much despair present, there is also so much beauty. During my six months in South Africa, I made it a point to explore the 10 miles of beaches in Durban and even had the chance to live in a hostel in Cape Town for 5 weeks. It was a true experience of a lifetime.
2. My favorite hotel & why… My favorite hotel is the Ritz Carlton in Naples Florida. It’s located right on the Gulf of Mexico and features an amazing beach with tons of water activities with a full service restaurant and bar. I have never been a beach person, but upon visiting this hotel I realized it was because I was doing beaches wrong! I sat on the beach for 5 hours! It was amazing.
3. My must-haves on any flight are… I have to have a thin blanket on any flight, I get cold so easily. I also find that my skin dries out on flights so lotion is also a must. On international flights I love watching the available movies, so headphones are crucial!
4. When I’m on the road, I absolutely hate… Traveling with people who aren’t willing to explore. I love finding different ways to explore when I am on vacation, including being willing to try local cuisine, so it bugs me when travel companions only want to eat “American” food.
6. The three things I can’t travel without are… 1. Headphones, Phone/Music/Camera, and a good book.
7. The top lesson I’ve learned while traveling is… To roll with the punches. I have learned that spontaneity often leads to the most amazing experiences. So, while I do travel most places with a game plan/itinerary I go with the mindset that if I learn about something better to do once I’m actually in the country then I go with that.
Already on your second or third passport? Join the Travel Seven and submit your answers here. Once we review and approve we will feature your profile on Parlour. | #travelfly