Biderman would have us believe that the idea of monogamy is unnatural and is indeed dying out. He says, â€œMonogamy isnâ€™t in peopleâ€™s DNA.â€ That may (or may not) be, but if you sit and think about Ashley Madison for more than five minutes, you realize that the Website actually thrives on our belief in monogamy and thatâ€™s the sleazy part. It seems to me, that AM would like us to think that, in practice, monogamy is unattainable so in the words of Jay Z, â€œhave an affair, act like an adult for once.â€ However, for it to be successful, AM also needs us to hold on tight to the ideal of monogamy. If you and your partner werenâ€™t big on the whole monogamy thing, you wouldnâ€™t need a Website thatâ€™s â€œbig on privacyâ€ to go fool around. All this does, is perpetuate feelings of guilt, self loathing and whatever else that comes along with cheating. Itâ€™s not pushing us toward a new sexual awakening. Itâ€™s exploiting the relationship between our desires and our existing ideal.
I just have one question for you ladies (and gentlemen)… Am I the only person who thinks thatâ€™s f**ked up?
image #1: Che Magazine
image #2: Village Voice
Last 5 posts by Bobbi
- Best of '09: SEX DRIVE! Sex Sells Duh!!! - December 21st, 2009
- News Bites: Khloe and Lamar on Chelsea Lately; No Power share for Honduras; Your Body has Lots of Bacteria; Gordon Brown Tells Karzai to End Corruption; Usher & Tameka are Done - November 6th, 2009
- Happy Birthday Anna Wintour; Republicans Win NJ and Virginia Gov; Bloomberg's Third Term; Karza Pledges to End Corruption; Uncertainty for Flight of the Concords - November 4th, 2009
- News Bites: Cali Talks of Legalizing It; Hugowood is flopping; LIl' Wayne's new MixTape; UN employees killed; W Mag Layoffs - October 28th, 2009
- News Bites: Gordon Voidwell; Airplane Misses it's Airport; BNP Leader: "London has been Ethnically Cleansed"; Timid Tigers are Cute; Pay Cuts for Bank Execs. - October 23rd, 2009