Just a few reasons to reconsider breast implants, in case you were on the fence…because surgically enhanced breasts are still on the wish list for some women.
Silicone gel breast implants cause known health problems, for example:
- After just three years, 25% of augmentation patients have to undergo additional surgery due to complications like infection, loss of breast sensation, and formation of painful scar tissue around the implant.
- Women who receive implants for augmentation frequently experience an increase in muscle and joint pain, muscle weakness, and fatigue.
- Implants interfere with mammography readings so women with implants are less likely to detect breast cancer in the earliest stages.
Silicone gel implants leak
- The likelihood of rupture increases over time, but many women are not informed that when they chose breast augmentation it is likely they will have to replace a damaged or leaking implant at some point in the future.
- Because most implants will eventually break, patients are burdened with extra unplanned financial costs. The cost of removing or replacing a leaky or deflated implant is often more expensive than the original procedure, leaving some patients with misshapen, painful breasts because they cannot afford the cost of follow-up surgeries.
- The long term effects of silicone released into the body in unknown, but I am going to hazard a guess and assume that it canâ€™t be good.
In the end, it turns out that the Victoria Secret-enhanced method is probably a safer and less expensive route to augmentation.
If you like Ms. Skeptical’s health advice, check out the rest of her posts here.
Last 5 posts by Ms. Skeptical
- H1N1 - July 20th, 2009
- Live from Argentina, It's Ms. Skeptical!: Smoking Culture - June 1st, 2009
- Ms. Skeptical Does Republica Argentina! - April 16th, 2009
- Mental Agility - January 6th, 2009
- Preserving Your Mental Health During The Holidays - December 8th, 2008