In my Improv 101 course at the Upright Citizenâ€™s Brigade, I learned about a very important practice called yes, and-ing. To yes, and is to build a scene by adding to your scene partnerâ€™s words and actions.
My scene partner may begin a scene by making large, swinging motions with his or her arms and saying, â€œMan, Jeremiah, chopping down cedar trees is hard work.â€
And I would yes, and my scene partner by making the same swinging motions and saying, â€œIt sure is David, especially in the cedar forests of Massachusetts where danger lurks all around us.â€
My partner established that we were woodsmen chopping down trees and I yes, and-ed that by acknowledging that we were chopping down cedar trees and by adding a location (Massachusetts) and the element of danger.
I have only taken one improv course so far, but I know that engaging in a scene with an awesome yes, and partner can be elating. The scene progresses without a hitch and takes you and your scene partner on some unexpected and exciting adventures.
In relation to sex, finding a partner with similar freak-ability is just as thrilling as finding a well-matched scene partner. You fumble around with other partners, wanting the scene to move forward, but somehow always getting stuck just before the adventure really takes off. Then one day, your freak-partner comes along and yes, ands all of your words and actions and you are both so psyched!
You say: â€œ I want you to tie me up sometime.â€
He: Leans over you, reaches under his bed and produces a roll of cloth rope in his hand and a sly grin on his face.
You: â€œIn the park.â€
Him: â€œYes, and tied to the bark of a tree.â€
Him: â€œI want to take pictures.â€
You: â€œYes, and grab my tape recorder.â€
You: â€œIn the bathroom of this restaurant.â€
Him: â€œLetâ€™s start right here under the table.â€
Suddenly neither of you are holding back and you realize that nothing and nowhere is out of bounds for you and your freak-partner. Your scenes progress seamlessly and become more intense and more outrageous.
Happy Valentines Day ladies! If you plan on getting freaky, I hope youâ€™re doing it with someone from your school of freakiness.Â And just like in improv, don’t think about it too much.Â Just begin and the rest will follow.
Last 5 posts by Bobbi
- Best of '09: SEX DRIVE! Sex Sells Duh!!! - December 21st, 2009
- News Bites: Khloe and Lamar on Chelsea Lately; No Power share for Honduras; Your Body has Lots of Bacteria; Gordon Brown Tells Karzai to End Corruption; Usher & Tameka are Done - November 6th, 2009
- Happy Birthday Anna Wintour; Republicans Win NJ and Virginia Gov; Bloomberg's Third Term; Karza Pledges to End Corruption; Uncertainty for Flight of the Concords - November 4th, 2009
- News Bites: Cali Talks of Legalizing It; Hugowood is flopping; LIl' Wayne's new MixTape; UN employees killed; W Mag Layoffs - October 28th, 2009
- News Bites: Gordon Voidwell; Airplane Misses it's Airport; BNP Leader: "London has been Ethnically Cleansed"; Timid Tigers are Cute; Pay Cuts for Bank Execs. - October 23rd, 2009