If you want to torture me, lock me in a room, blast Buraka Som Sistema, and then tell me if I start dancing to the Lisbon-based, dance heavy, tribal sounds, I will be electrocuted. Listen to guest MC Pongo Love repeating “Wegue… Wegue, Wegue, Wegue” on the song “Kalemba” or watch the Summer 2008 hit dance video for “Sound of Kuduro” (feat. M.I.A., Puto Prata, Saborosa & Znobia) and you’ll agree that you can’t stop moving to this shit. BSS’s album Black Diamond just dropped last week, and yes I am listening to it right now and no I haven’t stopped moving since I pressed play. It’s like I’m in some kind of chair butt-wiggling, shoulder-popping trance.
Background Info: Buraka Som Sistema is a group of friendsâ€”Lil’ John, DJ Riot, Conductor and MC Kalaf an Angolan ex-patâ€”from the Lisbon suburb Buraca. The guys brings the sounds of West Africa and more specifically Angola’s kuduro scene to the masses, with some input from a slew of artists who wanna jump on board, including Diplo and Bonde Do role.
Why I’m pumped: While the reggaeton-esque, alarm-ringing tunes are not what I’d want to listen to on the ride home from the club, they will definitely get me to put down the remote, put on my freak-em dress and head to town in search of a party. Come tomorrow, Buraka Som Sistema brings its massive live show, complete with dancers that look like b-boys on acid, stateside for their North American tour.
Watch, “Sounds of Kuduro” & “Kalemba” after the jump:
Last 5 posts by Bobbi
- Best of '09: SEX DRIVE! Sex Sells Duh!!! - December 21st, 2009
- News Bites: Khloe and Lamar on Chelsea Lately; No Power share for Honduras; Your Body has Lots of Bacteria; Gordon Brown Tells Karzai to End Corruption; Usher & Tameka are Done - November 6th, 2009
- Happy Birthday Anna Wintour; Republicans Win NJ and Virginia Gov; Bloomberg's Third Term; Karza Pledges to End Corruption; Uncertainty for Flight of the Concords - November 4th, 2009
- News Bites: Cali Talks of Legalizing It; Hugowood is flopping; LIl' Wayne's new MixTape; UN employees killed; W Mag Layoffs - October 28th, 2009
- News Bites: Gordon Voidwell; Airplane Misses it's Airport; BNP Leader: "London has been Ethnically Cleansed"; Timid Tigers are Cute; Pay Cuts for Bank Execs. - October 23rd, 2009