2 cups of all purpose flour
1/3 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon of salt
Filling:Â ground beef which is most common, cheese or fish (shrimp, salmon)
1) Prepare your filling.Â As mentioned above, ground beef is most common, but I enjoy making them with cheese or fish.Â If making with ground beef (turkey meat or crumblers for my vegetarians), you can mix in onions or olives if you prefer. Season to your liking (seasoned salt, basil, oregano, etc..)
2) Mix the flour, water, salt and 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a mixing bowl. Work with your hands until you have a smooth (not sticky) dough
3) Oil a flat surface (we always used the kitchen counter or table) and roll the dough with a rolling pan until nice and flat
4) Place a spoonful of filling on one side of the dough. Fold over and cut to a nice round shape.Â Press the corners with a fork until completely closed.
5) Place on a plate or baking sheet, separating them so they don’t touch.
6) Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and once hot enough, fry each pastel until golden brown
7) Remove from heat and place on a plate lined with paper towel and allow to cool (10-15 minutes)