In the UK, the record of rape convictions is low…a little too low for the government’s taste. It seems that the commn stereotypes and misconceptions ( “she asked for it” styles of dress, flirty behavior, lifestyle choices) that surround rape victims are resonating with juries around the country, resulting in more suspected rapists in the streets and a less rape victims willing to come forth. So who is to the rescue? The judges!
Judges are now expected to directed jurors to ignore common myths surrounding rape and focus on the law and facts. This all sounds great, just really 1989 to me. Do we need to start After-School Specials across the pond again?
Beware Rape Myths, Judges to Tell Jurors
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- We've Moved. Say Hello to Parlourtravel.com! - November 9th, 2019
- #TravelFly To Thailand With Us! - September 23rd, 2019
- The Ultimate Trinidad Carnival / Crop Over Packing List - December 2nd, 2018
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017