Naomi Sims, arguably the world’s first Black supermodel has been confirmed as to have died this past Saturday, after enduring a battle with cancer. She was 61.
Dark, tall, statuesque and deterimined, Naomi had a short, yet successful career and then flipped her focus into a multimillion dollar wig (my mom had one!!!) and beauty business .
For all you Parlouristas who work in beauty, fashion, publishing, etcâ€”take a second to pay your respects to Naomi today, most of us probably wouldn’t be who we are if it wasn’t for the work that Sims, Beverly Johnson, Pat Clevelend and others did in convincing the world that Black is truly beautiful.
ps. thank Kenrya for the late night IM!
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- We've Moved. Say Hello to Parlourtravel.com! - November 9th, 2019
- #TravelFly To Thailand With Us! - September 23rd, 2019
- The Ultimate Trinidad Carnival / Crop Over Packing List - December 2nd, 2018
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017