South Africa’s Creative Workers’ Union (CWU) is threatening a potential moratorium on J. Hud’s upcoming portrayal of Winnie Mandela in a biopic. The CWU is calling for a recast of the role, demanding South African talent be used instead. As much as I love Jen, for some reason, I tend to agree. Parlour Fam, where do you stand on the issue? Is Hollywood’s powerful reach stifling artistic expression and opportunity around the world? [Guardian].
In a long-awaited move toward women’s rights, Capitol Hill voted down revisions on Tuesday that would incorporate more stringent restrictions on abortion insurance in the health care bill. Past-due, but thank you Senate. [NYT].
Time Magazine just released its Top Ten Everything 2009 piece. From buzzwords to scandals, tweets, underreported stories, and futuristic gadgets – did your category make the list? [Time].
In an attempt to breathe life and vibrancy into Kenyaâ€™s fashion industry, emerging local designers have taken to their worktables with new textiles, palettes, and adornments out of fear of being titled the â€œAfrican fashion faux pas.â€ [BBC].Â Love the traditional colors paired against risky new shapes and lines.Â Check out what weâ€™re doing on this side of the Atlantic.Â â€œAfrocentric Fashion.â€ What does it even mean?
Ummm…. so I give you fairy dust. Would you choose your child’s gender? New manipulations to genetic technology can make it happen. Watch folks around the world sound off. [CNN].
Last 5 posts by Ifeoma Ojukwu
- NewsBites: American Apparel at it Again, Osama on Global Warming, The Jackson Kids at the Grammys, and Diana Ross Invades Foot Locker. - January 29th, 2010
- NewsBites: The State of the Union, Don't Ask Don't Tell, The iPad, Naomi Joins the Fight for Haiti, and Teen Pregnancy Up Again. - January 28th, 2010
- NewsBites: High Expectations for Tonight's State of the Union, Anna Takes Vogue to the Legislature, Millionaire Matchmaker: The China Edition, and Photojournalism Worth Recognizing. - January 27th, 2010
- NewsBites: A "Burka Ban" in France, The Science Behind January 12th, H&M's PR Rep Works Overtime, and What Does the Apple Tablet Mean for Other Media Forums? - January 26th, 2010
- NewsBites: NOLA in Miami, $58 Million x Hope for Haiti, Kicking Off Black History Month, Lauryn Hill in New Zealand, and an International Call for Nigeria. - January 25th, 2010