Esperanza Spalding is a more than just the bass player from the BET Awards Prince tribute. Before she rocked the sultry “If I Was Your Girlfriend” on stage,Â she was already a Jazz prodigy who released her self-titled debut album at 23 years old. The LP hit the top of the Billboard Contemporary Jazz chart for 70 weeks. She’s even friends with Prince and called Parlour to chat about natural hair care on a fuzzy international call from Finland. I first saw her a few years ago on a cold NYC night in an improv band, jamming on her upright bass. Now she’s releasing her second album Chamber Music Society today. In short, Esperanza is awesome and wants to share her hair tips with you.
PARLOUR: Your afro rocks, what products do you use?
Esperanza Spalding: These days Iâ€™ve just been using shea butter, I usually use olive oil. I donâ€™t use any products, I wash it with some soap and rinse it off, put some olive oil on it and brush it as often as possible and I just moisturize it with shea butter and olive oil and it never seems to do me wrong.
Do you really just use whatever soap is around? Sportie told us that Steeler Troy Pomalalu does that too…
Iâ€™m usually out touring too long to carry a bottle of shampoo, so I just buy natural soaps when Iâ€™m out. They seem to last longer, itâ€™s all advertising anyway. Most shampoos are made from the same ingredients as soap so its not really about washing my hair, the idea is to clean my scalp. So I usually use a soap thatâ€™s olive oil-based or natural oil-based and thatâ€™s it. But I havenâ€™t treated my hair ever, so itâ€™s just natural so it doesnâ€™t get too dry and itâ€™s easy to maintain. I think youâ€™d have to use a lot of products if your hair is damaged, but if you donâ€™t relax or dye it, your hair will talk pretty good care of itself as long as you moisturize it.
Because we enjoyed it immensely, here’s Esperanza’s performance of “If I Was Your Girlfriend” (my fave Prince song barring “Adore” and “I’m A Star”) below, along with Janelle Monae, Alicia Keys and Patti LaBelle.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011