Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day!
Please take this day to rejoice, and think about how MLK’s efforts have opened doors in your life. Sometimes, I know for me at least, the Civil Rights leader’s legacy is so big that it’s difficult to see how it relates to your everyday struggle. But honestly, just things like riding the subway in New York and sitting wherever I want, eating at whatever restaurant I enjoy, watching my cousin run for City Council in Inglewood, Ca … being the editor of a website dedicated solely to women of color around the world …Â this is all because Dr. King fought with everything he had for you and I to be able to be amazing and successful. So while you’re curled up on the couch watching TV or catching up on extra work like me, remember that Dr. King’s memory is bigger than that annual tired McDonald’s commercialÂ with the candles. He’s an inspiration for all of us and we must do our part to be better and uphold his legacy.
It’s time to work, ladies.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011