In the wake of the GOP stripping funds from Planned Parenthood, now anti-abortionists in New York have decided to ruin our shopping experience in the neighborhood of Soho. A group called Life Always erected a billboard yesterday stating that there’s a “genocidal war” happening in the African-American community and the culprit is abortion. So why not use Black History Month as the time to talk about it … we’re celebrating the AA contribution to society, right?
Here at Parlour, we believe that everyone has an opinion and that’s to be expected. However, please don’t tell me that â€œthe most dangerous place for an African American is in the womb.â€ Especially when the latest hot topic is to tear down Planned Parenthood, where they say “only 3 percent of the organizationâ€™s health services are abortion services, while an overwhelming 82 percent are services to prevent unintended pregnancy.” To those confused, Planned Parenthood is a great tool because it prevents unwanted and heartbreaking situations like “Brenda’s Got A Baby” and Precious. No one wants that.
Brooklyn’s Council Member Letitia James released a statement on the billboard and said â€œIt is misguided to use Black History Month as a tool to promote this message. Every woman has the right to make personal choices in regards to her body, and I respect many different points of view, but to compare abortion to terrorism and genocide is highly offensive.â€
We agree with her. Each person, and our couple, may use their respective wombs how they see fit. But it’s wildly improper to accuse the entire black community of trying to wipe it’s self out.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011