Isn’t that a weird concept?
As a vagina owner, I’ve always thought about things like that, especially once I became sexually active. My social worker mother made no bones about sending me to a young mother’s home if I got caught up and I took her seriously. Plus, what was I going to do with a baby? I couldn’t even pay my own bills with my little Reebok sales associate check! But I imagine if I was celibate, or a penis owner, this wouldn’t ever be an issue. In fact, I probably would say something like “Alls well that ends well.” But that’s not the case because I am a woman and there is so much at stake if the government is allowed to legislate the options for my vagina.
Learnvest, a financial planning site geared toward women, recently published a discussion on what is at risk if Planned Parenthood goes under.
How defunding Planned Parenthood could affect you:
- 4.7 million Americans may lose access to reproductive and family planning care, particularly middle- and low-income women.
- If you don’t have insurance, you may have to pay for a doctor’s visit to receive a prescription for birth control and pay full price at the pharmacy for it.
- Be careful! Without easily available screenings, counseling and treatment, the transmission of STDs and HIV may rise.
- Your daughter, niece, or younger cousin (and her boyfriend) may lose their safe, confidential, and free place to receive counseling, birth control, and testing.
- If you are low income and/or without insurance, you may have to pay the full price of STD screenings, which can cost $85 to $220 for each type. That doesn’t include the cost of the doctor’s visit, which can be another $200.
- You will have to visit a private practice for prenatal health care and, if you don’t have insurance, pay full price.
- Depending on the location, you may lose access to free or reduced cost general services like anemia testing, cholesterol screening, diabetes screening, physical exams, flu vaccines, help with quitting smoking, high blood pressure screening, tetanus vaccines, and thyroid screening.
- If you are an OB/GYN, your number of patients may increase.
Last 5 posts by Hillary aka Steely D
- DJ Kalkutta's 'Boy Talk': THROWBACK! - July 10th, 2011
- Marc Jacobs & Emily Browning in Black And White - June 24th, 2011
- Estelle Feels Up Omari Hardwick in 'Break My Heart' Clip - June 24th, 2011
- Gay Marriage Vote Delayed, Queen Latifah's Trainer & Kelly Rowland's Ab DVD, Casey Anthony Case, Christian Lacroix Re-Emerges, Lone Woman Charged for Rwandan Genocide - June 24th, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Fails Drug Test, Hulu For Sale?, Global Fashion Week, U2 In-Fighting, Whitey Bulger Caught, Lil Wayne Covers XXL - June 23rd, 2011