I was having a good morning, drinking my tea, organizing my things to do list when I saw “Dominique Strauss-Kahn charges dropped” flashed across my MSNBC screen. Really? Here are the facts:
– A Sofitel Hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo accuses Dominique Strauss-Kahn of attempting to sexually assault her in a New York City hotel room.
Maids turn out in support when she testifies at trial to show their support, since it’s not easy to jeopardize your income by reporting abuse — especially if the victim is not only black and female but an immigrant as well. Diallo takes the incident one step further by announces her identity in interviews with ABC’s Robin Roberts and more to prove that she’s a) telling the truth and b) keep the light on DSK. Still, the case is dismissed because prosecutors say that Diallo’s got an untrustworthy background.
– Elsewhere, French writer Tristane Banon accuses Dominique Strauss-Kahn of attempting to rape her too in 2003 but the incident somehow arose again during his NY trial. Then she meets DSK in a face-to-face meeting organized by French police to hash it out, perhaps? Still, today the BBC says this: “It said there had been “recognised sex acts”, but that there was prescription, Reuters news agency reports … Her accusation emerged while Mr Strauss-Kahn was accused of rape in New York; that case was later dropped.”
What this all says to me is that as a woman, my safety doesn’t matter especially if it’s jeopardized by a wealthy, powerful, political man who was almost President of France. Why bother submitting yourself to the pain and heartache of reporting your attacker if no one will believe you, right? But then again, if we as women don’t report, rapes will only increase.
What do you think our response should be to this new DSK verdict, ladies?
ps. Click here for PRLR’s DSK coverage
pps. Face-to-Face meeting with your rapist France? How is that helping anyone?
ppps. I feel like I should link to this
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Dutchess County, NY! - June 22nd, 2018
- Hotel Love: The Old Rhinebeck Inn - May 13th, 2018
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016