Today is Tuesday, but not just any Tuesday—it’s Dilla Day!
Before his untimely death, Soulquarian, hip-hop composer, emcee and producer James Yancey aka J. Dilla had been ranked by and lauded by industry heavweights as one of the greatest producers of all time and the admiration continues today. For us Parlour ladies, he was just that guy Dilla from Detroit— the cat who produced some of our favorite tracks that we still bump. To celebrate his birthday, here a few of my Dilla faves below from Janet Jackson, Badu and more. And if you really want to party and celebrate his legacy, join us at Donuts Are Forever 6, the annual Dilla tribute event in New York. Happy Dilla Day ladies! more
Slum Village – “Raise It Up”
Erykah Badu – “Didn’t Cha Know”
Janet Jackson – “Got Till’ It’s Gone”
De La Soul – “Stakes Is High”
Common – “The Light”
J. Dilla feat. Dwele – “Think Twice”
Slum Village – “Fall In Love”
sidenote: ‘Fuck that rap shit I listen to classical” is one of the best lines ever. RIP Baatin.
Last 5 posts by Shannon Washington
- We've Moved. Say Hello to Parlourtravel.com! - November 9th, 2019
- #TravelFly To Thailand With Us! - September 23rd, 2019
- The Ultimate Trinidad Carnival / Crop Over Packing List - December 2nd, 2018
- The 17 Things We Can't Travel Without In 2018! - December 23rd, 2017
- Hotel Love: The Zen Oasis @ Club Med Punta Cana - March 15th, 2017